› Family Saga
Match the description to the book titles. The plots of all these books focus on families/dynasties.
1. Saleem Sinai was born at midnight, the midnight of India's independence, and found himself mysteriously 'handcuffed to history' by the coincidence.
2. Set primarily on Drogheda, a fictional sheep station in the Australian outback named after Drogheda, Ireland, the story focuses on the Cleary family and spans the years 1915 to 1969.
The Thorn Birds
3. This is the epic tale of a 1940s New York Mafia family and their struggle to protect their empire from rival families as the leadership switches from the father to his youngest son.
Fall of Giants
4. When he was a boy in Henning, Tennessee, Alex Haley's grandmother used to tell him stories about their family—stories that went back to her grandparents, and their grandparents, down through the generations all the way to a man she called "the African."
Roots: The Saga of an American Family
5. The fortunes of the Rostovs and the Bolkonskys, of Pierre, Natasha, and Andrei, are intimately connected with the national history that is played out in parallel with their lives.
Things Fall Apart
War and Peace
6. Set in the rich farmland of California’s Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons.
The Other Boleyn Girl
East of Eden
7. A wild, passionate story of the intense and almost demonic love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, a foundling adopted by Catherine's father.
The Sound and the Fury
8. One of the most important and beloved Latin American works of the twentieth century, a luminous tapestry of three generations of the Trueba family, revealing both triumphs and tragedies.
The Kite Runner
The House of the Spirits
9. The story of three generations in twentieth-century China that blends the intimacy of memoir and the panoramic sweep of eyewitness history.
10. The story of the rise and fall of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the family. It is a rich and brilliant chronicle of life and death, and the tragicomedy of humankind.
North and South
One Hundred Years of Solitude
out of 10 questions.
Show me the Answers